Dental Policy

For a patient who requires medical attention for a dental problem, unfortunately a GP does not deal with ‘dental complaints’ and you must contact a dentist. This is due to the fact the treatment given by a GP may affect subsequent care given. You may also require pain killers or antibiotics but these must be prescribed by a dentist.

What if I am not currently registered with a Dentist?

Hywel Dda Health Board has an enhanced Dental Access Scheme for patients who do not have a regular dentist and are in need of emergency / urgent treatment.

Patients can access the service by contacting NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 who will triage their symptoms,if appropriate give the patient a reference number and refer the patient to the Dental Services Clerk at the Health Board who are on (01267 229692). The Dental Services Clerk at the Health Board will not deal with the emergency appointment request without the reference number from NHS Direct.

NHS Dental Services

If you do not have an emergency / urgent need to see a dentist but would like to find out where you can register with a Dentist within the Hywel Dda University Health Board area, then please contact them:

  • by phone on 01267 229692
  • or by post to Dental Services Team, Conference Centre, Withybush Hospital, Fishguard Road, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire SA62 1PZ.

NHS WalesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website